Sunday, December 17, 2006

Sunday iPod on Random

1. Tilman Franks & His Rainbow Boys - Hot Rod Shotgun Boogie : Western Swing sounds awfully nice on a sunday morn

2. Django Reinhardt - Crazy Rhythm : I'm beginning to feel i'm in a period piece filmed in sepia.

3. Daniel Johnston - Go : Musically, he never did too much for me, but after watching The Devil & Daniel Johnston, I have a much bigger appreciation for him.

4. Split Lip Rayfield - Should Have Seen It Coming : Full tilt punk rock bluegrass. These guys ripped it up live also. Unfortunately, I believe they are no more

5. The Chymes - Quite A Reputation : Girl Group rocknroll courtesy of No Name

6. The Jesus & Mary Chain - Taste Of Cindy : Hey, can I borrow some reverb?

7. The Konks - Here She Comes : Rocknroll as it was meant to be played, four to the floor drums, superfuzzed guitars, and shouting vocals way in the red.

8. Heavy Trash - Dark Hair'd Rider : gritty rockabilly from mr. blues explosion. Very cool.

9. The Greenhornes - My Baby's Alright : hell yes, a great one from the first album of one of my favorite bands. shrimp cracker found it used....jealousy rising

10. The School Of Rock - I Pledge Allegieance to The Band : This is killer dialogue from one of the better movies of the last 30 years

3 comments:

No Name said...

Da Do Ron Ron - Bob Dylan - Not what I thought it was gonna be but I'll take it.

America The Beautiful - Neil Young - Another fucking strange cover.

A Black Horse Bends Its Head To The Stubble - Allen Ginsberg - Western-esque background music w/ the 3rd bard in a row.

Crazy - Twilight Singers - Dulli and co. jamming on some Gnarls Barkley. When will the covers ever stop?

Howlin' Down The Cumberland - John Hiatt - This record completely does it for me.

Concrete Jungle - The Specials - Fun shit huh?

Assassins - The High Dials - The Best band of the last 30 years?

Heaven In A Black Leather Jacket - The 6ths - A little Stephin Merritt side project away from the Magnetic Fields.

Attics of My Life (live) - The Grateful Dead - This is a bonus track on the American Beauty re-issue. These dudes weren't fucking around when they chose a name for the album.

Heroes And Zeroes - Slumber Party - From the Kill Rock Stars mail order I did 2 years ago. I figured it was finally time to check out what I had bought.

shrimpcracker said...

1. "Sugar 'N' Spikes" (Live, 1980- Cpt. Beefheart, from the Live 'N' Rare bootleg. Proof that the Captain & the last lineup of the Magic Band could still hold their own.

2. "Under The Hedge" - Ted Leo, live at South Street Seaport, Summer 2006.
Great song.. great performances.. show I actually attended... musician near & dear to my heart. BUT, as this audience recording is so fucking awful I wish I didn't have it because sometimes it just doesn't count.

3. "32-20 Blues"
When Robert Johnson's having a good time & playing that fun, rollickin' finger-pickin blues, it just don't any better.

4. "These Arms Of Mine" - live, Otis! The Definitive Otis Redding
While searching for Otis Redding Christmas songs on the iTunes store, it came up that that band Okkervil River has a song called "Listening to Otis Redding At Home During Christmas." hmmmm.....

5. "Episode 19: The Bible", Bob Dylan, Theme Time Radio Hour with Bob Dylan
The Good News..Dylan picks an hour of songs about the Bible. I haven't listened to this one yet, so I gotta track it forward.

6. "I Don't Want To Walk Around With You", live off Rock & Roll College boot. At this point I'd officially recommend that live Ramones are the best way to get your fix. At least if you're a daily user.

7. "Eleanor Rigby / Julia" - Love
What a shitty transition. Yuck. Do I have to listen to this entire song?

8. "Handbags and Gladrags" from The Rod Stewart Album
When they did the American version of The Office, they should have used THIS version for the opening credits.

9. "I'll Be You" - The Replacements, live from Hanging It Up boot, 1991
I saw the 7 inch of this yesterday for 3 bucks with the picture sleeve & all and have felt like an asshole ever since for not snatching it.

10. "Try To Get By" - The Donkeys. I have no idea who these guys are, but I know that Hendo digs them & offered the introduction, so I'm down.

Anonymous said...

"Please Don't Go" Stevie Wonder -- Fulfillingness' First Finale (goodway to start the end of the day)
"Jealous Guy" Faces -- 5 Guys Walkin Into A Bar... (yes)
"Abominable Snowman in the Market "Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers ( ----- )
"Reprise" Grizzly Bear -- Yellow House (one person described them as 'overhyped' said individual reviewed a JT single)
"Straight Line" Wire -- Pink Flag (ok, fine)
"Monsterpussy" The Vaselines -- The Way of the Vaselines ('nuff said)
"Used Cars" Bruce Springsteen -- Nebraska (no JOhnny 99 but whatevskis)
"Pink Love" Blonde Redhead -- Misery Is A Butterfly (prob listen to this too much at work)
"A Line for Every Letter" Mountaineer -- When the Air is Bright... (I honestly don't know what this is)
"True Affection" The Blow -- Paper Television (this record is ok, kind of. actually no, forget that )