Monday, December 04, 2006

Prestige 7181



I wanted to post something steeped in piano but my dad took a few of my favorite piano jazz records (which was his right since he basically paid for them) like Bud Powell, Oscar Peterson and Red Garland, but all was not lost since I found The Red Garland Quintet's Soul Junction. The album features John Coltrane, Donald Byrd on Trumpet, Arthur Taylor on bass, and George Joyner on drums.

Birk's Works is a composition written by Dizzy Gillespie. The band recorded it on November 17, 1957 in Hackensack, NJ.

One of my favorite albums of all time is Garland's All Mornin' Long also featuring Coltrane and Byrd. I never could get over that one. Maybe it was because it was one of the first jazz LP's I owned but the magic never wore off. I haven't listened to Soul Junction as much but it sounded pretty good earlier today. Enjoy.

No comments: