Thursday, December 07, 2006

Mary and the Duke



The final jazz selection for the week is a special one and near and dear to my heart. Last year, the Warner Brothers' Collectables label reissued Duke Ellington plays Mary Poppins. Holy shit I said when I heard about this and ran out and picked it up right away. Well, I was not dissapointed.

The album was originally released in 1964 on Reprise Records. I have posted Feed The Birds because it is one of my favorite tracks from the movie. I also have a version of Garth Hudson from The Band playing that tune but I may save it for a rainy day. A real rainy day. The thing i really like about this album is all the horns sound muted as if the sound is just trying to seep out of each horn.

All songs from the Mary Poppins score were written by Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman.

No comments: