Sunday, December 03, 2006

Sunday Funday on Random


"To Richard Milhous Nixon who never let me down." - Hunter S. Thompson - Dedication to The Great Shark Hunt

A Man/Me/Then Jim - Rilo Kiley - I liked this song so much I put it on my "Sweet Songs"mix. Its got a nice little rhythm. Diana, Diana, I would die for you.

All The King's Horses - Dusty Springfield - I've been listening to a remasterd copy of Dusty in Memphis. Amazing. A Sunday Morning Classic.

Tattooed Love Boys - The Pretenders - After seeing Ms. Hynde & Co. this summer, I noticed how most everyone around me was a gay male. Made me rethink a couple of things.

A Love That Will Never Grow Old - Emmylou Harris from Brokeback Mountain Soundtrack - So about that rethinking a couple of things... Seriously, why would my iPod do that to me right now?

King of Spain - Galaxie 500 - I honestly cannot remember any of this band's songs but I like 'em all.

Head Full of Steam - The Go-Betweens. See remarks for Galaxie 500.

It Was An Accident - NRBQ - The problem with bands that release tons of records is where do you start? I usually just try and avoid them completely for fear of starting in the wrong place or starting in the right place and ending up in the wrong place 15 albums later. It's probably why I never got into Zappa.

Sweetest Love - The Stanley Brothers - These dudes really knew how to rock with their cocks out. (queer ref. #3). The Louvin's would have kicked their asses.

Crows - The Gothic Archies - I think its time to get all the Stephin Merritt shit off this thing. This is from the Lemony Snickett record the balls and brains of the Magnetic Fields recently released.

So Far Away - Dire Straits - Finally something I can listen to.

3 comments:

pasd137 said...

1. The Mekons - "Trouble Down South" A Combination of a killer violin and vocal melody, with erie backing vocals and that cheeseball drum sound that drives me nuts. Still a cool song and album.

2. Richmond Fontaine - "Hallway" A fine one from Uncut's darlings of americana. I bought this album based on their write up of it, and I can dig on it. The song has really cool steel guitar work throughout.

3. Bevis Frond - "Lights Are Changing" This is on the Children Of Nuggets box set. I don't really know much about them, and this song doesnt blow me away, but is kinda cool

4. Pussy Galore - "Sweet Virginia" From their bootleg cover of the entire Exile On Main Street Album. Beyond lo-fi and sloppy. Includes some of the most out of tune violin work ever recorded. gotta love it.

5. Velvet Underground - "Heroin" I've always liked the velvets, but never been a die hard fan. I really like the drone-y strings in the background. This song kicks ass, but heroin doesnt

6. Hayden Thompson - "Blues Blues Blues" From the Songs The Cramps Taught Us Vol. 1 comp, which has some great stuff on it. This is old school rockabilly at its finest

7. The Band Of Blacky Ranchette - "Rusty Tracks" Howe Gelb is the man. Dig the laid back voice man.

8. Karen Dalton - "In The Evening" Some real deal psych/freak/folk. My cousin gave this to me. I really dont know much about her either but its cool stuff. You can really hear where Devendra/Entrance got their vocal stylings from

9. The Paisleys - "Something's Missing" Good if not generic psych rock from the late '60s.

10. The Figgs - "Donahue" From the original Ginger album. This is the figgs at their high speed best

shrimpcracker said...

1. "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" - Bruce & The E Street Band
I seriously could not have asked for a better opening for this Sunday Funday adventure. After fighting through the aisles at Target today, only to have my cashier accuse me of cutting the line and challenging my Express Line item count, this is exactly what I needed to put my heart back in the holiday spirit.

2. "Dose of Thunder" - The Replacements, Tim
No more Christmas? Fine. The one 'okay' track off an otherwise perfect album.

3. "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" Dylan & The Band, The Basement Tapes
Thank God the Byrds knew what this song was really supposed to sound like. "It's a Byrds song..." "It's a BOB DYLAN song."

4. "A Little Time" Otis Redding, Otis! box set
I just remembered last week that Otis Redding died a few months after he turned 26. TWENTY SIX. How can that even be possible? A God among men...

5. "The Swallows Eye" Comets on Fire, Avatar
These guys sound like a bunch of noise rock dudes that got into Phish and then back into noise rock (a trajectory of which I can very much get behind).

6. "Instrumental 1" Wilco, YHF Demos
I'm recognizing this as the melody of some other Wilco song. Kind of sounds like something from Being There, but I don't think such revisiting of past glories is possible from the band that never should have fired Jay Bennett.

7. "Come Together / Dear Prudence / Cry Baby Cry" - The Beatles, Love
Like No Name, I've really been enjoying listening to this CD. If they want to keep milking this cash cow & come up with a Vol 2, they should put Sir George in the studio with a bunch of mashup DJ-types and really let the old man loose. A Duets of sort.

8. "Nine" - Forward Russia!, CMJ iTunes comp
I've been meaning to go through & delete all the shit artists from this CMJ/iTunes MP3 promo. This is definitely one of them. I think it's time for a new genre name for this yelpy, overwraught, Arcade Fiery post-punk shit. Because it's not fair to real Post Punk to lump in this kind of boring crap.

9. "I'm A Soldier In The Army Of The Lord" - Congregation Of The Church In Christ, Clarksdale, companion CD to Alan Lomax's The Land Where The Blues Began .
Straight-up Mississippi gospel. Just what I needed to purge myself from that last bullshit. Thank you iPod. I will pay it forward then, and share this song with y'all.

10. "100%" - Sonic Youth, Dirty
The best Thurston Moore songs make you feel cool as shit, despite the fact that you're a total geek and he's an even bigger one.

No Name said...

H - I bought that Fontaine LP for the same reason. Uncut man, they will do that to you. S.C. - I agree on the Byrds is the better version of the tune & it's nice to see your pod in the holiday spirit.