Sunday, November 05, 2006

Top Ten On Random - iPod Mix

The Lemonheads – Ceiling Fan In My Spoon – that’s a fun Sunday afternoon song.

R.E.M. – Nightswimming – song that makes you wish it was late at night and you didn’t need to wake up in the morning.

Guided By Voices – Twilight Campfighter – Perhaps I’m stating the obvious but for a band that released so much music each song seems like lots of attention and craftsmanship was given to it. But most of all love. Just love.

Elvis Costello & Steve Nieve – Watching The Detectives - Live in 1996 Bootleg – one pit-stop on the renaissance man’s race around the track, accompanied by his very own mad scientist.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers – Think About Me – From the Playback Box. My iPod is beginning to look like some AAA radio programmers wet dream. Maybe this isn’t a good thing. Anyway. Playback is the ideal box set an artist should release. A healthy amount of released album cuts but a huge chunk of unreleased material that doesn’t suck. Because like my old man always says to me “Son, there is a reason it never came out in the first place.” To which I say “Yes, Father.”

Afghan Whigs – Summer’s Kiss – I cannot say enough good things about these guys. In my eyes they are fantastic. If I was in a band, I hope this would be the music we would play.

Patsy Cline - When You Need A Laugh – I was gonna say something hokey, like they just don’t make ‘em like they used to, but it’s true and that sucks. While I don’t like greatest hits collections that much there is a line of them called the Definitive Collection that I can get behind and this comes from that. The sound is tip-top and the songs are even better.

The Essex Green – This Isn’t Farm Life – Honestly, I bought this for the group’s Kinksian name. How lame is that? Just because it had the word Green in it. But it also came out on Merge and figured I’d take my chances.

HEM – When I Was Drinking – This is one of those songs from one of those albums (Rabbit Songs). It’s pretty, quiet, and especially melodic. I like to read or go to bed with it. Unfortunately, HEM’s follow-up albums never equaled this one.

Jacob Miller & The Fatman Riddim Section - Dread At The Control – Some Heavyweight Super Dub to finish the afternoon off.

Post 'em if you got 'em

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

post some afgan whigs tracks man -- make like a 5 track best of so I can see what I have been missing only listening to the twilight singers --

disco senior

No Name said...

I'll post some shit later tonight. Senor.

pasd137 said...

1. Thee Headcoats - "Going Outside My Head" From the album Beached Earls. Another gem from thee earls of suave

2. The Incredible Casuals - "Destiny" From the album Your Sounds. HojoHiFive took me to see this band for the first time this summer at the beachcomber in welfleet. I thought they were a lot of fun, and it wasnt just because I was sideways drunk.

3. The Reatards - "Drink Today" From the album Not Fucked Enough. These guys are Memphis trash rock legends.

4. The Dream Syndicate - "When You Smile" From the album The Days of Wine and Roses. This album is groing on me like a boil.

5. Bob Dylan - "Get Your Rocks Off" From the album Genuine Basement Tapes Vol. 2. im not sure who he is, but its got that groovy sound the kids are going for these days.

6. Bobby Marchan - "What Can I Do" From the Complete Stax/Volt Singles Box Set. I dunno, what can you do bobby? Great box set.

7. The Starkweathers - "Burn The Flag" From the Bloodshot Records compilation For A Decade of Sin. Not reccomended, cause you know, you could get arrested for doing that.

8. Hank Williams - "Half As Much" From The Gold Collection. Thee Cracker Of The Highest Order. Hank is the ultimate cracker, and he lay down some mighty fine tracks he did.

9. The Decemberists - "Song For Myla Goldberg" From the album Her Majesy. This is from a mix my sister made for me of their songs. Not necessarily my favorite, but I can dig it.

10. The Young Fresh Fellows - "Still There's Hope" From the album This One's For The Ladies. I bought this album from itunes store. im glad i did.

Anonymous said...

1. "pate filo" by this french band malajube
2. "willow's song" isobel campbell solo record, (from belle and sebastian"
3. "elephant woman" blonde redhead
4. "western sky" freedy johnston -- from a live album from mariara
5. "frank mills" the lemonheads
6. "tonite it shows" mercury rev from deserter songs


WATCH THE HAIR -- uncle jessy
7. "one more time" clash sandanista
8. "early in the morning" harry nilsson
9. grand coulee dam woddy guthrie
10. "sombre reptiles" brian eno