Sunday, January 21, 2007

Sunday's iPod On Random

Half Past France - John Cale - Paris 1919: Here we go starting things off right. Isn't this Jeff Tweedy's favorite album? Maybe John Cale is one of the reasons that band lost its track.

Ethiopian Version - King Tubby & Soul Syndicate - Freedom Sounds In Dub: I have no clue who or what the Soul Syndicate is but this shit is top-notch.

Learning The Game - Buddy Holly -The Buddy Holly Collection: I've never heard a BH track I didn't like. I read somewhere this week that the family of the Big Bopper is going to exhume his body to find out if there was a gun on board the plane. Check it out here.

It's Impossible - Lambchop - The Decline of Country...: Most bands got nothing on these guys.

Can We Try Love Again - Kool Blues - from Numero Group's Eccentric Soul Series. This one from the Capsoul Label: Hendo just bought this one I believe and I'm sure will dig the vibes.

In The Jailhouse Now - Steve Earle & The V-Roys - The Songs of Jimmy Rodgers: I'm trying to think of what musician from the past Steve Earle could be compared to and keep drawing blanks. The guy has released so much great music and is such a story that I think he stands on his own. If he didn't take his lefty stances, I bet he would be honored in the Kennedy Center or something one day.

To Live Is To Fly - Townes Van Zandt - High, Low And In Between: This is iPod poetry, Townes coming in to keep Steve some company. If Steve Earle is due such high remarks, than Townes should have a town named after him (No pun intended) or a huge fat royalty check sent to his widow(s) for his efforts. Seriously, find me a singer-songwriter below the Mason-Dixon that wasn't influenced by TVZ.

Belle S'Est Etourdi - Kate & Anna McGarrigle - The French Record: I am such a sucker for anything sung in French and these sisters that this album was a no brainer for me.

Walk Of Life - Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms: Last night this weird station I get aired a documentary on Dire Straits from around the time of their first record. They were so young looking it was scary, like how a band on the cover of NME looks today. Other than that there was nothing interesting I saw that made me keep watching and In The Line Of Fire was on a few channels away. I got to thinking about how Clint Eastwood is on the walls of my apartment in a few places. That creeped me out so I flipped back to these guys.

What A Day (For A Night) - Paul Westerberg - Besterberg: Pretty soon it will be time for the Hall Of Fame to shaft Paul too. He's used to it though. (I think The Replacements are actually eligible for entry which means they already have been shafted).

Today's Ethicist is a good one, Mr. Cohen gave us an extra Q&A.

1 comment:

pasd137 said...

Willie Nelson - Shotgun Willie
The Remains - I'm A Man
Holly Golightly - Time Will Tell
Rolling Stones - Stray Cat Blues
Scared Of Chaka - A Lie And A Cheat
John Coltrane - Mr. P.C.
The Go - Hey Linda
Aretha Franklin - Save Me
Ryan Adams - Dear John
The Dukes Of The Stratosphere - Vanishing Girl