Friday, January 19, 2007

New Music

A new year, means brand new albums to digest your way through. Here is a tiny list of a groups who have new (or newish) music out there I've heard a track or two by but would like to check out some more.

Menomena - Wet & Rusting from the album Friend and Foe, released by Barsuk Records

The Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye from the album Carnavas, released by Dangerbird Records

Lastly, there's the new Damon Albarn project The Good, The Bad & The Queen featuring Paul Simonon and Tony Allen. That should be an interesting one.

And for some albums that aren't so new that have hit my to get list: M. Ward's last one, Dead Meadow's last one (just got the re-issue of their first LP and it's banging), Yabba You re-issue out on Blood & Fire, Tappa Zukie's Escape From Hell (Zukie being a dub producer maestro), a new Dead live one from NYE in 1976 that I believe may only be ordered on-line from Dead.net but I'm not so sure about that one.

Before I split, I'm listening to the Twilight Singer's As Played By The Twilight Singers. The rhythm section of a '70's R&B outfit blended together with the alt-rock of some of the best '90's bands. It really is a winning combination and I'm kind of surprised more group/artists don't try it on for size. Then again this shit probably ain't too easy to pull off.

Oh one more thing. The New Yorker has posted an profile written in 1978 about Ahmet Ertegun who recently passed. It can be checked out here. It's quite lengthy and I think I only linked to the first part so JIC here is part II. People live on in the memory of others and while Mr. Ertegun lives on via the shelves of our records, this is a little backup.

No comments: