Wednesday, January 10, 2007

We Will Never Agree On Anything As We Agree On...

Team Hendo would like to usher in the new year with a few new post topics. The first in a series of new ones is We Will Never Agree On Anything As We Agree on...(name subject to change). The phrase comes from a Lester Bangs article whereupon he stated in an aside that, we, the listener, all could agree on Elvis but after him our tastes diverged and hence the rock critic was born.

The premise of the post is Team Hendo, individually, and any friends, loved ones, readers, haters (i.e. you) will write in to tell all about your favorite album by the band named for the specific post and why it hits your #1 with a bullet. So please, lets start with the tip-top of the mountain: The Beatles.

What's your favorite album by the fab-four and why?

3 comments:

pasd137 said...

I'm not sure if the Beatles are the top of the mountain, but they are up there, ill give you that. for me, the best beatles album is "Rubber Soul". Everyone talks a lot shit about the two different eras of the band: the early sappy rocknroll love songs, and then the world-altering psych love pop rock later period. whose got love for the middle period, huh? Besides, Rubber soul has "nowhere man" on it.

No Name said...

I'm gonna move further to the right on the scale than Hendo but not too far. Revolver is my #1 because as mentioned above it merges the two phases of the Beatles but is a little heavier on the "world-altering psych love pop rock." Additionally, the songs are top notch for that kind of treatment and the band, from bass to ripping guitar solos to honed in tweakiness is right on the $$ and will never be re-created without coming off like a total knock-off. Plus, the shit is banging from track one to fourteen. If I was alive in 1966, Taxman would never have left my stereo and I never would have left my room.

shrimpcracker said...

I agree with both of the aforementioned. If I was gonna stay honest (as I try to), Revolver too takes my cake. The songwriting, the double-track vocals, the Tibetan Book Of The Dead, the fact that Paul only annoys me on one song, the cool hand-drawn cover and a perfectly sequenced collection of gutsy rock, psych trip-outs and genius pop.

But yeah, if that's No. 1, then Help!, Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, the White Album & Mag. Mystery Tour are tied for a close 2nd.