Monday, March 02, 2009

Weird Owl


NY rockers Weird Owl released their new record a little bit ago, and it is worthy of a mention here. Like some of their Tee Pee Records label-mates they specialize in the heavy rock/psych so prevalent in the early to mid '70s. The singer's voice really reminds me of someone else that I can't figure out. At this time, I'm still uncertain if its a good thing or a bad thing. Either way, the tunes are there.

Here's the 2nd song on the album, skeletelapathic. It has such a driving, propulsive rhythm that it immediately caught my attention. It's got a pretty cool riff, and every time it comes on, I usually want to hit the repeat button and hear it again.

Here's Tobin's Spirit Guide. If you had told me this was a cover of some obscure Neil Young/Crazy Horse song I would have believed you. See for yourself.

I'm not totally sold on the album as a whole. These are my two favorite songs (out of 8), but overall, its good enough that it deserves at least a few listens.
.

No comments: