Monday, May 28, 2007

Creedence Clearwater Revival, Day 1


I was up in the Northeast area this weekend and by default found myself in a Newbury Comics. Amongst other finds, I discovered they had all the remastered "20 Bit K2 Super Coding" Creedence Clearwater Revival albums brand new for $5. I picked up a handful of the band's classic albums and have thoroughly enjoyed listening to them.

I figured I would do a series of CCR related posts (to justify my spending habits) including some album tracks, live cuts, John Fogerty solo work and cap it off with some selections of Fogerty backed by Bruce and the E Street Band from the good intentioned Vote For Change tour.

To get things off is Susie Q from CCR's first album. The reason I am posting this well known track is twofold. First, I went to summer camp with a girl named Susie Q (though I don't know how her family name was actually spelled). We pondered whether she knew of the song and would sing it to her along with playing her the track but sadly I feel she had no clue that the song was legit and felt we were horsing around at her expense.

The second reason is that Susie Q is a killer track. The band jam this rockabilly wonder out to over 8 minutes, something you will not have actually heard if your memory of this song is from the radio or the band's greatest hits which has an edited version at half the length. Trust me that this song has a groove that is indestructible and fucking jams.

Susie Q as mentioned is featured on the band's first album and is the standout track. It's a good portrayal of what CCR would unveil on its audience in the future. Sometimes I forget (because of their presence on the radio) just how dynamite an act CCR was and the power of their catologue. I'd even go as far as to state, that Creedence may be one of the more underrated groups of its time and its caliber as of today. There aren't many young bands citing them as influences or much scholarship noting their impact on popular music but it would be hard to ignore them in the pantheon of rock.

So take a listen and come back in the next few days to check out more tunes from CCR.

CCR- Susie Q

3 comments:

pasd137 said...

CCR = BSE

shrimpcracker said...

I was just listening to Bad Moon Rising on Q104 the other day and thinking how i gotta get me some Creedence.

No Name said...

i think we are all on the same page here.