Friday, May 18, 2007

Afrobeat


So far this year I think my favorite new album of the year has to be The Good, The Bad and The Queen. It's been the album I have given the most listens to and oddly enough the second most listened to new album I can claim is Jarvis Cocker's Jarvis so if one of the Oasis guys decides to record and release a side project or solo album I'd may have a Brit-pop trifecta on my shelves.

The other day, I thought I'd check out some music by Tony Allen who plays drums in TGTBTQ and is a well known and regarded afro-beat musician. I'd read somewhere that Damon Albarn appears on an Allen record and planned on picking that up and thought I did. Apparently though, I read the sticker on the album wrong and ended up purchasing an Afrobeat comp on Honest Jon's Records, Albarn's label, of tracks selected my him and his buddies while abroad.

I was bummed at first, but put Lagos All Routes - Juju & Highlife, Apala & Fuji on and was pleasantly surprised to find myself enjoying the whole thing. Afrobeat is a lot like Reggae in that it is highly effective in putting you in a good mood and keeping you there. It's music that keeps your head bopping and body a grooving and you got to love that.

The posted track is Eyi Yato / Elere Ni Wa by Ebenezer Obey. Enjoy