Sunday, March 11, 2007

Shoegazing Day 1

The cottage genre of Shoegazing has produced music that can be thrown on at anytime of the day. Whether it be just when the sun has set or right before it comes up and anytime in between an album fitting within this genre can be played. The most cursory description I can give is that the music makes you feel like you are on painkillers and when you actually are on painkillers the music is all the better. Shoegazing primarily derives from the U.K. but it has moved across the pond and some of its most note worthy bands include My Bloody Valentine, Galaxie 500, Low, The Catherine Wheel, Ride and a few others.

Wikipedia can make a blogger's job all the easier with its' capable entries. Since I have foregone describing the genre here is there page devoted to it.
All Music Guide's Shoegazing Page.

Over the next few days, HBBB will take you and us on a stroll down shoegazing lane. Oh what good times these are bound to be. To get things going is a posted track by the Reading, England band Slowride taken from their album Souvlaki. The band were on Creation Records and 4AD Records. John Peel was a fan and so should you.

Slowride - Alison

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what the surviving members of Foghat would think about their classic song being mistaken for the name of a mopey drugged out british band.

No Name said...

Elvis is gonna be pissed.

Anonymous said...

I meant that on the link to the song the band is referred to as "Slowride." Unless this is meant to be funny. Like the way I call the guy out of Blur Damon AllBran. Now THAT'S comedy...

Carry on.

No Name said...

I totally missed that. Now I feel a little slow. I've been reading the Britpop! book by John Harris and I got to say I used to like Albarn mainly b/c I knew nothing about him but the further I get into that book the nicer your Allbran title seems.

Anonymous said...

Never read that book. Always meant to. I think I'll order it now.

Allbran always just struck me as a pussy. That's not true. He became one when he started going out with Justine Elastica and then when they broke up he just became the Sting it was OK to like. But I wasn't buying it.

Anonymous said...

Is "Britpop!" the same as "The Last Party?" "The Last Party" was the one I always meant to read. I assume they are different pressings of the same book.... Anyone...?

http://tinyurl.com/yp6u8z

No Name said...

yeah i believe they are the same book - maybe different titles for the American and U.K. books.

Albarn's one of those musicians that should've never done interviews but b/c he did he created a record of what a douchebag he was/is.

The book's interesting not only for its look into the band's and their formations, incestrous relations and rivalries but into the british indy labels dating back to around rough trade. But the Oasis v. Blur battle is fun as is reading about all the drugs (Heroin) most of the bands ended up in. There's also massive shit talking going on.