Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Buffets


As requested by Mr. Radnauseum, here is some Buffets. The Buffets were a one-off all girl band put together by Billy Childish in 2005, although the album, Saucy Jack didnt get released until last year. Here's the description of the band from the man himself:

The Buffets: a meal consisting of several spicy little dishes from which guests serve themselves Featuring Sister Tiffany Lee Linnes - vocals and guitar (Ex Stuck-up's singer), Nurse Julie - bass and vocals (Chatham Singers) Matron Bongo - drums and vocals (Ex Headcoatee / Dutronc / Speed Of Sound and many many more)

On the afternoon of Sunday April 3rd 2005 Sister Tiffany Lee flew in from Seattle and The Buffets had their first rehearsal.

On Monday the 3rd the girls recorded their debut LP, and on Tuesday the 4th It was Mixed and considered good.

On Friday the 8th they played their first and final show - with their male counterparts, The Buff Medways - to a Capacity audience at London’s famous Dirty Water Club, Next day, Sister Tiffany flew home again.

Their debut album is the record of that brief moment in rock and roll history.

It was a hectic week but one that will hopefully encourage others to do less, quickly.

Here's that top LP for you to enjoy now – and remember, this Buffet is all you can eat!

Jack Chatham
April 9th 2005 Chatham

The album fits nicely in the cd rack next to the Del Monas and Headcoatees, as you can hear for yourself:

Sally Sensation

Just 15

4 comments:

No Name said...

Dude, I dig this one much more than the headcoatees and del monas and I am fans of those. Im gonna have to keep a look out for this one.

Anonymous said...

Thanks alot. I think I might be going the opposite way of No Name (who the hell is No Name? Do I know them?).

I mean... I guess I always knew that the buffets were going to be the buff medways with a higher voice but the whole thing is very bass-y. Kinda too dirty sounding. I don't know. Maybe I like my girl groups a little prettier sounding. But yes -- it fits in perfectly as the natural progression from Brill Building girl group (delmonas) to thee wild wild headcoatees to the trashy and dirty buffets. OK. Longest comment ever. Although I'm not sure if I give a shit about music anymore I can still get rather passionate about B.C., apparently.

pasd137 said...

I hear what your saying, at first I was a little put off by the vocals. But after a few listens it started growing on me. There's still a lot of good stuff out there radnauseum, dont lose faith just yet (but i hear you...)

No Name said...

I don't know if either of you would agree but the posted tracks had more of an American garge vibe going than the more anglo sounding Billy Childish and family groups.

Could have also been the production job though. I'd have to listen some more before writing that firmly.