Monday, February 05, 2007

Jarv Day One: Peel Sessions 1981

In light of the recent attention given to Damon Albarn on the Hendo, we decided we'll spend some time this week with another 90s British rock & roll man entering his middle life - shall we say - "reflective" pop period.

Jarvis Cocker's solo debut LP Jarvis isn't out in the States 'till April 3, but has been out in England since November. We at Hendo happened upon a copy, and can say we're quite seriously enthralled with it. So much that we're willing to revisit the Pulp backstory all week long. If you'd like you can keep tabs on his new happenings on his frequently attended Jarvspace page, but until then, enjoy the early (early) days of Pulp.

Back in 1981, when just a wee schoolboy band, Jarv & friends ended up landing a BBC Session with the mightiest of mighty, Sir John Peel. John Peel was out on one of his roadshows, where he would bring along his record collection and assorted unknown live bands to colleges & bars around England. At one of these roadshows, up walked Jarv with a demo tape he made with his schoolmates, as a group they'd been calling Pulp. Well John Peel liked what he heard (even if they were the very similar generic New Wave stocked by every British university at the time), and invited them in for their first Peel Session, on November 7th, 1981.

Pulp - Peel Sessions, November 7, 1981

4 comments:

pasd137 said...

First off, I had no idea that Pulp was around for that long. I dont know anything about them, I had assumed they were only part of the mid 90s oasis era.
If I open my mind a little bit, I could see myself digging these songs, I think i like "please dont worry" the best.

No Name said...

you rock dude

Anonymous said...

I've tried to get into the early pulp stuff. It's not easy. I'll stand by Dogs Are Everywhere as a great track but His N Hers, Different Class and This is Hardcore definitely belong in the rock and roll canon. The reissues have some good stuff. The b-side to This Is Hardcore (The Professional) is classic.

Just downloaded Jarvis. It's actually pretty good. I'm listening to it work fairly quietly but there's a chance that it's very, very good and I just can't hear it so well.

shrimpcracker said...

listen to it louder Radnauseum. I think you very well might love it.

I agree early Pulp is really spotty. But we'll try to serve you up some worthwhile selections this week.