Monday, April 30, 2007

Top Ten Songs You Would Live In


Ever seen Mary Poppins? There's a scene where Bert, Mary and the kids with a little magic jump into sidewalk chalk drawings and end up in a cartoon world where the animals dance and the merry go rounds come alive. So I got thinking while listening to something earlier today about a strange idea that reminds me of that. If you could jump into a song or a world of songs by one specific artists what would they be? Desolation Row? Yoshimi? I think you catch my drift.

I'm working on a post cum essay about the music of Jackson Browne but wanted to post Take It Easy today because it's where my heads at. One of my favorite things to do is bash The Eagles and I hate them because they recorded this song, denying Jackson Browne's version from being the famous one. Hell, he wrote the thing so his should be the one anyway. The song is great though, and even if a shitty band like The Eagles cover it, they can't wipe out its' inherent magic. Gotta love all that pedal steel too.

7 comments:

pasd137 said...

I'm not really one to study lyrics very much, but one song that comes to mind is The Kinks "Village Green". I like the entire nostalgia/wanting to simplify things concept behind a lot of songs on that album. I'll keep thinking what else I can come up with. Cool concept man.

Anonymous said...

It might be that old weird America that greil marcus wrote about and Hunter/Garcia and Robbie Robertson put to music. Just like Hendos post, these songs hearkened back to a simpler time when less was not more, but simply all that one had. I dont know if I could live in it, but Garcia's "Brown Eyed Women" created a world within the song that was evocative and interesting to me. The weird and cryptic world of the Band's "Caledonia Mission", "Unfaithful Servant" and "Rocking Chair" are songs I could live in, but the best may well be "All La Glory" sung by Levon. It's one of those songs I try not to listen to that often because I like it so much. For reasons I think some people would understand, I bet the world of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" by Brian Wilson would be a nice, place to live in for awhile.

No Name said...

Responding just to the two above posts I would add that to be a fly on the wall in Waterloo Station and in the Dead's loser would be cool. Desolation Row and a bunch of Tom Waits songs also come to mind. Roccy Raccoon?

jonder said...

Sometimes I would like to escape to Leo Kottke's "Tiny Island".

Anonymous said...

As the admin of this site is working, no question very rapidly it will be famous, due to its quality contents.
Also see my web page :: borkum riff

Anonymous said...

When I initially commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox
and now each time a comment is added I get several e-mails with the same comment.
Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
Many thanks!
My page drum tobacco online

Anonymous said...

However, before making the payments, you can ask the service
provider about the time frame, in which they will be
able to deliver the views. That is all performed by
web phone, Skype, Google Hangout or by telephone. Another efficient mode to endorse your video is buying buy youtube comments.


Here is my blog post - youtube video views