Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Detroit Cobras - Tied And True


The Detroit Cobras just released their new album, Tied & True on Bloodshot Records. The Cobras have easily been one of my favorite bands the last few years. I have really loved their 3 previous LPs as well as the 7 Easy Pieces EP. The combination of rollicking r&b rave-ups with slow-burning ballads has worked really well. When you add the amazing vocals of Rachel Nagy, you get some really great records. However, I've seen the band live 3 times, and have left dissapointed each time. At best, it was just a good show, not great, and at its worst it was uninspired. The energy level just isn't the same as it is on record, and the band has just seemed like they werent really into it. Needless to say, I was a little worried about what their new album would sound like. On first listen, I was not really blown away. It seemed like the band had lifted a little off the gas pedal. The song selection, which has always been stellar, didn't seem to highlight the band's strengths. On further listens, the album has really grown on me. The overall sound is really great, with the band's sometime guitarist Greg Cartwright manning the controls. Whereas on previous albums, the ballads were some of the better tracks, I think the slower paced songs on Tied and True drag a little bit. Overall, the album is definetly worth a purchase, it's just not as amazing as their other stuff. It also features "On A Monday", made famous by the man Johnny Cash.

Check it out:
As Long As I Have You

No comments: