Sunday, April 01, 2007

Top Ten Movies (From When You Were Growing Up)



The other night I was struck by a memory of going to the local video store (long since closed up and replaced by a bagel shop) and vividly remembered wanting to rent all the new releases which probably sucked. I know now, I never have that feeling in the video store but that's the best part of being a kid. I recalled the old video boxes for movies like 48 hours, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, The Burbs, Repo Man, Little Monsters, Willow, the list goes on and on and I think I just dated myself.

So what were your favorite movies growing up? The ones you remember enjoying at the time?

4 comments:

shrimpcracker said...

I was also reminded of this exact topic, as I caught & sat glued to "Big" for quite a while this weekend. Anyone else ever notice in the scene when the still-small Josh tries to get on the rollercoaster ride @ the carnival, how ridiculously tall that "Must Be This Tall" sign is??! First off, the girl he liked who he wanted to go on the ride with wasn't even tall enough, let alone ALL THE ADULTS that got to go on after him. I never noticed this overlooked detail before, but now that I myself am big, I feel completely fucking cheated.

HELL YES with the "Little Monsters." I'd love to see that shit again. Other VHS faves were Top Gun, Willie Wonka, Muppets Take Manhattan, Follow That Bird, Ewok Adventures, Ghostbusters II, Temple of Doom, Major League.... this could go on forever.

Bubbaluvzbutter said...

So I Married an Ax Murderer, Little Merm, Naked Gun (esp. 33.3 RIP ANS, Babyboom, Heathers,Coming to America, Pretty Woman, Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter Is Dead, Ace Ventura, Tommy Boy...

No Name said...

For starters:

The Garbage Pail Kids Movie
Masters of the Universe
UHF
Indiana Jones / Star Wars
Dirty Dancing
Young Einstein
Over The Top
Superman III
Short Circuit I and II!!!
Robocop
Return To Oz (The scariest thing going in those days)
Muppets Take Manhattan
Mr. Mom
Like Father Like Son tie w/ Vice Versa
Karate Kid II
Gremlins
An American Tale (Feival where are you?)
Conan The Destroyer

Follow That Bird was a must in my house.

More to come - this list could go on and on

pasd137 said...

1. Robin Hood (Disney)
2. Revenge Of The Nerds
3. Bloodsport
4. Indiana Jones (all of em)
5. Star Wars
6. Karate Kid
7. Airplane
8. Spaceballs
9. Terminator 2 (first R movie i saw in the theater)
10. The Three Caballeros
**11. Ghost Dad (!!!)