Friday, June 30, 2006

This is Bob Dylan to Me

So Isiah Thomas is going to have to right the ship that he has already fire-bombed. Thanks to ESPN, the world now knows that this isn't the first time that Isiah has been invovled with a total catastrophe. You gotta love superimposing huh? Well, let's see if could possibly get any worse for the knicks before it gets better.

I just watched the new Minutemen documentary, "We Jam Econo", and I gotta say that even if you are only a casual fan, you have to check it out. It's really good, and just raised my level of appreciation for them ten-fold. Their concept of what punk rock was just really rings true. They did things their own way, and they weren't afraid to not look punk, not sound punk, etc. At least for the first few years, their music was pretty abrasive, angular, choppy, and brutal. They were blasts that were done before you knew what hit you. The Minutemen truly had their own sound, which was very different from the other bands in the punk/hardcore scene at the time, and lyrically they were in a league of their own. At the end of the movie, Mike Watt is saying that they toured with REM in '85, and on the last show, the 3 of them (Watt, Boon, and Hurley) got on stage with REM and played "See No Evil", the Television song. That was the last time he played with D. Boon, and he was saying how much it upset him that he had to play the guitar, and couldnt be playing the bass with him at the end. Depressing stuff. Check out what Watt said about D:

he was my best friend since we were thirteen and the reason I started and still to this day play music. his life was cut way too short at twenty seven. I think of him every day. his spirit lives on in the work I continue to do. folks ask what kind of bass player am I. my answer is "I'm d. boon's bass player."
It would have been interesting to hear where they would have gone in '86. I think that the Minutemen may be one of the more important American bands in the last 30 years (I know, I know...I'm sure shrimp cracker or someone else may want to comment on that - I'm setting you up, what more could you want?) Here is Mike Watt's website. Also, check out Corndogs.org. it has a lot of archive stuff.
Songs:
The Minutemen - Paranoid Chant, Bob Dylan Wrote Propaganda Songs, Anchor, I Felt Like A Gringo, History Lesson Part II
I'm probably going to do some more on the minutemen next time, I have a listening assignment for myself now.

As a parting note, here are some songs by the Texas '60s rockers The Zakary Thaks - Bad Girl, Face To Face, Won't Come Back

This post is dedicated to Alex and Benn (just like one of my cd binders), who I hadnt seen in way too long

1 comment:

ezruh sellof said...

Does anyone else think it is creepy that D died at 27? Just like Kurt, Jimi, Janis...strange.