Monday, October 06, 2008

Badar Ali Khan


One of my recent discoveries courtesy of Emusic is Pakistani Qawwali singer Badar Ali Khan. He was the cousin of world-renowned Qawwali singer Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. I've had an appreciation for this kind of music for a while, but never really paid much attention to it. I've been drawn more to eastern music these past few months as I've been seeking the perfect drone.
Qawwali music is very rhythm-based, which makes it easy to get lost in the mesmeric groove of the longer songs. I'm not going to pretend to know much about it, and I'll just let the music do the talking.
Here's a song from Badar Ali Khan's album, Lost in Qawwali III. His voice really is insane. Dance the J5 (or whatever the kids call it these days), put on your headphones, and lay back. You'll be glad you did.


Badar Ali Khan - Black Night

1 comment:

No Name said...

i got a record by his cousin (on rick rubin's american records) - can't wait to check this out.