Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Left Of The (Radio Disney) Dial

I don't really post on the Hendo all to often, but sometimes I just have some shit I need to get out there. Today, it's a zip file of some mp3s, but first lemme explain..

A couple of days ago, amid a stumble into the Virgin Megastore, I heard a something warm & familiar pumping out of their shitbox DJ booth. It took a few seconds to register, but it was clear I was hearing the ending section of a Paul Westerberg song -- a new one, one I'd definitely never heard before. Realizing Virgin plays shit only when they have something to sell, I headed over the W section to find this new Paul album.. the one I'd strangely heard nothing about.

Quite surprised then, to not find a new album, but a CD in the PW section featuring this artwork:


WTF??!

Well, let me say outright that I'm not someone who'd be judging Paul Westerberg on just about anything really. My love just runs too deep - and in my book, the man can do no wrong. And if Paul is looking to earn some dough & add "Hollywood Composer" to his business card (at the ripe age of 46) - no problem here. Even for a movie starring a CGI-cartoon bear, voiced by none other than Martin Lawrence.. totally cool with me. And if this can possibly lead to an Academy nom & Paul performing his soon-to-be hit "I Belong" between Randy Newman and Three 6 Mafia.... well, shit.

Despite all this, I wasn't about to fork over my own cash -- however much a crusader I may think myself to be. Instead, some single-song purchasing on the iTunes MS seemed to be in order. And really, the songs are fucking great. I don't want to make any claims too grand, but I will say they're as good as any of his post-Mats work. Which I guess isn't saying too much really, as the man's solo output is beginning to rival the Mats catalog at this point. But at the very least they don't suck. And Tommy plays on some of them.

So for you, the MP3 hound -- I have an all or nothing deal for you. A zip of all 7 Paul songs included on the soundtrack, plus the too-rocking version of a song called "Wild As I Wanna Be" (rejected by Sony & re-recorded by the band Deathray for the final).

And yeah, Tommy.. if you notice two of the songs are sounding a lot like PTMM/Don't Tell A Soul-era Mats, it's because Tommy's playing & singing on them -- "Love You In The Fall" & the classically titled "Right To Arm Bears".

Alright -- check 'em out houng dogs:
PaulWesterberg.zip 39.2 MB

1 comment:

pasd137 said...

I'm glad you had some shit to get out there. We missed you. I dig these songs, and I dont even really know any of the PW solo stuff. I love the story also, its those albums that you come across in bizarre ways that end up being the b.s.e.
is PW gonna actually make that much $$$$ from soundtrack album sales, or does he get money if the movie itself does well?